There’s been a lot of activity lately in the Arts & Smarts program as we work to finish everything up for the year. We’ll celebrate all of our accomplishments at our annual End of the Year Celebration on Thursday, May 1 from 5-7 pm. Everyone’s invited to join us!
Highlights from the last few weeks include:
- The children learning about the things that interest and excite our staff and volunteers including helping others (that’s why our intern Amber is working toward a Human Services degree at Ivy Tech) and running a pig rescue farm (as Sara, a volunteer from USI, explained, “People might think your dreams are crazy, but if it’s something you really believe in, then don’t give up!”)
- Having Patchwork’s Team Dyno-Claw compete in the Vex Robotics Competition at Ivy Tech. The team had to build a robot and then use it to stack blocks on stair steps to earn points. Dyno-Claw came in 13th out of 27 teams–pretty good for our first time!
- Using onion skins and plant leaves to dye eggs before Easter. The results were beautiful!
- Children receiving “Dividend Checks” for their participation in the spring Art & Company product creation and art sale at Patchwork’s Pancake Breakfast. For their work selling art, the kids even appeared on the newspaper’s society page!
- Positive feedback from a USI student doing field experience at Patchwork as part of a teaching degree. She observed that the children at Patchwork really respect the adults and are well behaved. She thinks that the structure of our programming is good and helps to encourage this. She’s glad she was assigned to Patchwork.
Our children’s programming will take a break for the month of May and then our summer children’s activities will begin on June 2. Registration forms are available in our main office and on our website: www.patchwork.org.