Next week at Patchwork, the pace will pick up dramatically. We’ll be back to full days of programming with the first Art Garden Week filling the building each day with around 50 children, teens, and adult volunteers. The joy, activity, and fun will be too much for the Meetinghouse to contain, and everyone will spill out into the garden, the studio, and the grounds. It’s always one of my absolute favorite times at Patchwork.
All summer our food pantry will continue to serve families–their children at home for the summer. As the weather warms, our showers will stay busy as everyone values an opportunity to cool off, wash away the sweat, and get clean. And even in warm weather, we’ll serve up lots of coffee as people gather for our hospitality.
Of course, none of this will happen without the generosity of our supporters and their donations of money, time, and items that we need. Recently we’ve had some special gifts that will help us better serve our clients and that brightened the days of our staff and volunteers (and some days after we’ve dealt with particularly sobering situations that’s a big deal).
Special things happening recently at Patchwork:
- The medical suppliers who donated all the medical supplies on John’s Health Ministry wishlist–even when another donor was willing to purchase the supplies himself to donate to us.
- The anonymous donor who orders supplies for our hospitality program so just what we need is delivered just when we need it.
- The grandmother who gives us $5 every so often–which is a lot for her–because she appreciates everything that we do for the neighborhood.
- The new volunteer who is working to reorganize the Bike Shop so we can provide people with transportation once more.
- The gardeners who have quietly filled the garden with plants and who have created a new butterfly garden to use to educate the children this summer.
We’ve also received a special challenge from a donor: make a special donation to Patchwork this month and your gift will be matched dollar-for-dollar for up to $1000! This gift comes at a good time. During the summer, donations tend to slow but we’re still busy providing services. If you’d like to contribute toward this matching gift, send us a check marked “challenge gift” or give online through the link on our website www.patchwork.org.